The primary objective of the Hessequa Society for Archaeology is to further awareness and knowledge of archaeology in the Hessequa region through, but not limited to the following:
- Developing public interest in, and support of, archaeology;
- Performing, or having performed, archaeological and related studies;
- Preserving, or having preserved, important archaeological artefacts and sites;
- Maintaining and expanding the existing Blombos Museum of Archaeology;
- Keeping members informed of relevant matters through, inter alia notices, newsletters and/or the media and organising outings;
- Presenting lectures to members and the general public;
- Liaising, where necessary, with other concerned organizations and individuals in order to promote the objectives of the society.